We all understand that in a company there may be exits, whether voluntary or involuntary; However, what we never understand is the mismanagement of this moment. And it is that, the simple fact of facing communication in this crucial situation, can make that, despite the fact that the process has been properly carried out, everything ends up being ruined. Definitely, communicating a layoff is not an easy taskBut doing it wrong can have a big negative impact on our company.
Thus, applying good communication, however difficult it may be, will be key so that a long decision, a change or a simple idea that we want to transfer, turns the entire process into something truly satisfactory. Conversely, poor communication may also be the only reason the message doesn't get the right way and, consequently, generate a negative impact on our interlocutor.
But, let's go further. When we have to carry out a complicated conversation, face to face, dealing with such delicate topics as the communication of organizational changes, exits of a large number of people from the company or a punctual separation, we must be especially careful. As we already know, One of the moments that an employee remembers most of his time at a company is his departure from it.
What do we face as managers?
Let's see now what two types of conversations, related to the separations, we have to face as managers or directors:
- Communicate a layoff to someone on my team: sundoubtedly, one of the most complicated moments and that must be faced without delegating. If done well, it may not have negative consequences for people or companies. Let's not forget that the emotional component, both for the detached person as for the comrades themselves who stay and, even, for the prestige of the firm, it is very high.
- Talk to the team about the exits: an exit generates noise, and the companions themselves will be the first to want to talk about it. Given this inevitable fact, it is essential to have a conversation with them proactively. Fear, uncertainty, discontent or surprise will be emotions that will be coexisting with them and this will undoubtedly affect your day to day in the company. In addition, the impact as leaders and as a company is at stake and affects - positively and negatively - the management, the company values, the customers and, ultimately, the credibility of the organization.
Keys to keep in mind when communicating a departure
Common to any conversation, and especially in complicated ones, they stand out three great aspects which, if we prepare them and take them into account, will help us maximize the success of our conversations:
- preparation: how much more we have prepared the key messages and possible scenarios that can be raised during the conversation, the more likely we are to be clear and provide answers to our employee.
- Driving: choose the right site, with the necessary privacy, and create an optimal emotional atmosphereIt will also help the conversation develop better. At this point, we will transfer the previously worked key messages. It is advisable that these are simple to achieve direct and honest communication.
- Reactions: emotions can trigger negative reactions in the employee. Therefore, this is another key point to keep in mind. And a lot. Active listening and ensuring that we are understood when we are moving messages is important, but managing reactions towards the end of the conversation is crucial. Thus, we must leave an open space for them to ask questions and to make each person feel that they have a place and a moment in which to express what they think or feel. Likewise, the support that we transfer to you and, above all, that we provide you based on the conversation is decisive. The success of a complicated conversation also depends on the following steps.
As managers these are the essential steps to communicate a layoff. A difficult situation that we must address and that is key to demonstrate what kind of company we are both for people who leave and for those who stay. Without a doubt, a very good opportunity where we can reinforce our values and reputation thanks to the correct management of this difficult conversation.